Alarming Healthcare Increasing Cost Study
Exponentially Increasing Chronic Care Costs
We have discussed the increasing costs of specialty drugs for the treatment of cancers, hepatitis C, etc., in previous Newsletters. Here are the latest alarming chronic care cost studies:
- Between 2003-2013, the annual increase in Canadians over age 65 reporting two or more chronic conditions was just 0.2%— compared to 5.2% among Canadians aged 12-64.
- That is now a 25 times greater incidence in younger people vs the over 65's.
- Our fast food, sedentary, digitally driven lifestyles have finally caught up!
- Many companies are now looking at wellness programs to benefit their employees.
As well, the same recent study shows:
- Prescriptions filled at retail pharmacies nearly doubled between 1999 and 2009: from 272 million to 483 million.
- Half of all Canadian adults take at least one prescription drug; approximately 15% take four or more drugs. For those with chronic diseases, 37% take four or more drugs.
This is a six year old prescription study period. Today's numbers are substantially higher.
Wouldn't it be great if you could meet all of your employees' needs? You can!
Without breaking the bank.
Not sure where you might fit? Take a look at one of our Strategic Partners information on the balancing of insurance and compensation. Use the questionnaire to guide your thinking process.
The Benefit Guys offer affordable, meaningful options. Whether you already have a benefits plan or are considering implementing your first one, give us a call for a personal, confidential discussion about your challenges. We have access to the best plans and the best advice available today. We filter it and make it available to you. We're good listeners.
"No matter how many employees you have - it's perfect. And it starts with one!"
Our Best Practices Annual Review is available for download. You need to reduce your benefits liability exposure. The content in this document will help you.
Click on any of the links on the top menu bar for further, more detailed information.